In Episode 43 of the Toe-2-Toe Podcast, hosts Jenn Murtland and Monica Weakley duke it out over whether you should list your own house as an agent. Hear why Jenn thinks you’ll get much more money if you put your home on the MLS and why Monica doesn’t necessarily agree. Then stay tuned for a special tiebreaker segment.
- Should you list your own house as an agent?
- Jenn thinks it's stupid to sell your house as a FSBO if you're an agent.
- If you do this, you’re going against what you tell clients to do.
- Monica thinks it depends on the situation. She thinks agents should be able to do it.
- If you put your house on the MLS you are going to get more money because your pool of buyers is bigger.
- Most real estate agents don't call FSBOs, so their buyers don't see them.
- Monica feels that in this market an agent that understands pricing can use this strategy.
- Jenn is assuming that all agents that try to sell their homes on their own are getting less than they could. Monica doesn't buy into that.
- Jenn feels that if you have a larger pool of buyers, you are more likely to get everything you want.
- Jenn feels you're doing yourself a disservice if you're an agent and you don't put your own home on the MLS.
- Monica agrees that it's more professional to use the system you say works so well.
- Your brokerage may or may not allow you to sell your own home without paying company dollar.
- The safety factor is a consideration when you put your home up as a FSBO.
- For the most part, agents they surveyed agreed that agents should not sell their own homes as a FSBO.
- Rachel Walkowicz is today’s tiebreaker. She says agents should not list their own homes as FSBOs and doesn’t understand why they would.
- Rachel reminds us that our actions speak louder than words and that going this route could undermine how we've presented ourselves as professionals.
3 Key Points:
- When you list your home on the MLS, you have a larger pool of buyers. You are more likely to get more money for your home.
- It is more professional to use the system and strategy you recommend to your own clients.
- Consider your brokerage’s policies and procedures before selling your own home.